Viduvaraa dentaina - విడువరా దెంతైనా వెఱ్ఱివాడనైన నీకు

Annamayya Keerthana Lyrics in Telugu & English with Meaning and Audio

A humble devotee with folded hands and the marks of the conch and discus on his shoulders kneeling before Lord Venkateswara, who raises his hand in blessing, illustrating Annamayya's keerthana Viduvaraa dentaina by S Dommu, vaksara.com

Viduvaraa dentaina: "Do not let me go, however foolish I am." Illustration created with AI for this post.

Audio by G Balakrishna Prasad & S Janaki:

If the player does not load, listen on YouTube. Audio rights belong to the uploader and the artists.

Viduvaraa dentaina (విడువరా దెంతైనా) is an adhyatma (spiritual) keerthana by the 15th-century composer-saint Annamacharya (Annamayya), set in raga Ahiri. It is a prayer of complete humility. The devotee says: "Do not let go of me, however foolish I am to you. Protect me so that others do not laugh." He admits that he knows neither knowledge nor ignorance, neither bad action nor good action, and that he cannot give up worldly pleasures, but he says he bears the Lord's name and the Lord's mark and calls himself the Lord's servant. He asks the Lord to take responsibility for him, correct him and rule him tenderly. The song closes by saying that he has now come before the eyes of Sri Venkateswara and asking for compassion. Below you will find the lyrics in Telugu, an easy-to-read English transliteration, word notes, and the meaning in English and Telugu.

Also written as: Viduvaradentaina, Viduvaraa dentainaa, Viduvaraadentainaa, విడువరాదెంతైనా వెఱ్ఱివాఁడనైన నీకు.

విడువరా దెంతైనా వెఱ్ఱివాఁడనైన నీకు అన్నమయ్య కీర్తన (రాగం: ఆహిరి) సాహిత్యం, తెలుగు మరియు ఇంగ్లీష్ లిరిక్స్, భావము, ఆడియోతో.

Annamayya Keerthana Lyrics in Telugu & English

Song details

ComposerAnnamacharya (Annamayya)
వాగ్గేయకారతాళ్లపాక అన్నమాచార్య
CategoryAdhyatma sankeertana (ఆధ్యాత్మ)
RagaAhiri (ఆహిరి)
Rekhu (copper plate)101-2
Volume (Samputam)2-2
DeitySri Venkateswara (Tirumala)
Singers (audio)G. Balakrishna Prasad, S. Janaki
LanguageTelugu

విడువరా దెంతైనా – Telugu lyrics

విడువరా దెంతైనా వెఱ్ఱివాఁడనైన నీకు
కడవారు నవ్వకుండాఁ గాచుకో నన్నును ॥పల్లవి॥

జ్ఞానము నే నెఱఁగ నజ్ఞానముఁ నే నెఱఁగను
మానను విషయములు మరిగెంతైనా
నీనామము నొడిగి నాదాసుఁడ ననుకొందు
దీనికే వహించుకొని తిద్దుకో నన్నును ॥విడు॥

అకర్మము నెఱఁగను సుకర్మము నెఱఁగను
ప్రకటసంసారముపై పాటు మానను
వొకపనివాఁడనై వూని ముద్రధారినైతి
మొకమోడి యిందుకే గోమున నేలు నన్నును ॥విడు॥

వెనకఁ గానను ముందు విచారించి కానను
నినుపై దేహధారినై నీకు మొక్కేను
ఘనుఁడ శ్రీవేంకటేశ కన్నులెదుటఁ బడితి
కని పోవిడువరాదు కరుణించు నన్నును ॥విడు॥

Viduvaraa dentaina – lyrics in English (transliteration)

Viduvaraa dentainaa verrivaadanaina neeku
Kadavaaru navvakundaa gaachuko nannunu ||pallavi||

Jnaanamu ne neranga najnaanamu ne neranganu
Maananu vishayamulu marigentainaa
Neenaamamu nodigi naadaasuda nanukondu
Deenike vahinchukoni tiddukoo nannunu ||vidu||

Akarmamu neranganu sukarmamu neranganu
Prakatasamsaaramupai paatu maananu
Vokapanivaadanai vooni mudradhaarinaiti
Mokamodi yinduke gomuna nelu nannunu ||vidu||

Venakan gaananu mundu vichaarinchi kaananu
Ninupai dehadhaarinai neeku mokkenu
Ghanuda sreevenkatesa kannuleduta badithi
Kani poviduvaraadu karuninchu nannunu ||vidu||

Word notes

  • Viduvaraadu (విడువరాదు): you must not let go, you should not abandon.
  • Entainaa (ఎంతైనా): however much, no matter how.
  • Verrivaadu (వెఱ్ఱివాఁడు): a foolish, mad or simple person.
  • Kadavaaru (కడవారు): others, onlookers; the exact sense is uncertain, and it may also mean "those at the end" or "lowly people".
  • Navvakundaa (నవ్వకుండా): without laughing, so that they do not laugh.
  • Gaachuko (కాచుకో): protect, guard.
  • Jnaanamu (జ్ఞానము): knowledge, wisdom.
  • Ajnaanamu (అజ్ఞానము): ignorance.
  • Neranganu (నెఱఁగను): I do not know.
  • Maananu (మానను): I do not give up, I do not stop.
  • Vishayamulu (విషయములు): sense objects, worldly pleasures.
  • Marigi (మరిగి): having become used to, addicted.
  • Nodigi (ఒడిగి): having taken up, having uttered; the sense here is "taking your name on my lips".
  • Daasudu (దాసుఁడు): servant.
  • Anukondu (అనుకొందు): I consider myself.
  • Vahinchukoni (వహించుకొని): taking on the responsibility, taking charge.
  • Tiddukoo (తిద్దుకో): correct, set right, improve.
  • Akarmamu (అకర్మము): wrong or forbidden action; also non-action.
  • Sukarmamu (సుకర్మము): good action.
  • Prakata-samsaaramu (ప్రకటసంసారము): the visible, open worldly life.
  • Paatu (పాటు): toil, labour, effort.
  • Vokapanivaadu (వొకపనివాఁడు): a worker, a servant with a task; the sense is "like a hired hand".
  • Vooni (వూని): having taken up, undertaken.
  • Mudradhaari (ముద్రధారి): one who bears the Lord's marks; in the Vaishnava tradition, the marks of the conch and discus, and the phrase probably points to that custom.
  • Mokamodi (మొకమోడి): having turned the face, out of shyness or embarrassment; the exact sense is uncertain.
  • Gomuna (గోమున): with affection, tenderly, with indulgence.
  • Nelu (ఏలు): rule, protect, take under your care.
  • Venaka gaananu (వెనకఁ గానను): I do not see what is behind me, the past.
  • Mundu vichaarinchi kaananu (ముందు విచారించి కానను): I do not see what is ahead even by thinking.
  • Dehadhaari (దేహధారి): one who has taken a body, an embodied being.
  • Mokkenu (మొక్కేను): I bow to you, I worship.
  • Ghanuda (ఘనుఁడ): O great one.
  • Kannuleduta badithi (కన్నులెదుటఁ బడితి): I have come before your eyes.
  • Kani (కని): having seen.
  • Karuninchu (కరుణించు): show compassion, be merciful.

Meaning of Viduvaraa dentaina (in English)

This is a summary of the idea of the song, not a word-for-word translation. The devotee speaks in complete honesty, owning his faults and weakness and asking the Lord to hold on to him anyway. A few words are uncertain, so some lines are given in broad terms.

  • Pallavi: Do not let go of me, however foolish I am. Protect me so that others do not laugh at me.
  • First charanam: I know neither knowledge nor ignorance. I cannot give up worldly pleasures, however much I am drawn to them. But I take your name on my lips and think of myself as your servant. Take responsibility for this and correct me.
  • Second charanam: I know neither bad action nor good action, and I do not give up my toil in the open world. Still, I took up your mark like a workman taking up a task. Out of shyness, for this reason, rule me with tender affection.
  • Third charanam: I do not see what is behind me, and I cannot foresee even by thought what is ahead. Having taken a body, I bow to you. O great Sri Venkateswara, I have come before your eyes. Seeing me, do not let go of me, and show me compassion.

The keerthana is a confession and a prayer. The devotee does not claim any merit and rests his claim only on having taken the Lord's name and mark and on coming before him. It is devotional poetry, written in the spirit of surrender.

భావము (తెలుగులో)

ఈ కీర్తనలో అన్నమయ్య పూర్తి వినయంతో శరణాగతి చేస్తున్నారు. పల్లవిలో నేనెంత వెఱ్ఱివాడినైనా నన్ను విడువవద్దని, ఇతరులు నవ్వకుండా కాపాడమని అడుగుతున్నారు. మొదటి చరణంలో నాకు జ్ఞానం, అజ్ఞానం తెలియవని, విషయాల మీద మోహం విడువలేనని, అయినా నీ నామం పలుకుతూ నీ దాసుడినని భావిస్తున్నానని, ఈ బాధ్యత తీసుకుని నన్ను తిద్దుకోమని వేడుకుంటున్నారు. రెండవ చరణంలో మంచి చెడు కర్మలు తెలియవని, సంసార శ్రమ మానలేనని, పనివాడిలా నీ ముద్రలు ధరించానని, ఆ కారణంగానే నన్ను ప్రేమతో ఏలుకోమని అంటున్నారు. మూడవ చరణంలో గతం, భవిష్యత్తు తెలియదని, దేహం ధరించి నీకు మొక్కుతున్నానని, శ్రీవేంకటేశా, నీ కన్నుల ఎదుట పడ్డానని, చూసి వదలవద్దని, కరుణించమని ముగిస్తున్నారు.

More audio versions

Listen to more Annamayya keerthanas on our Jukebox or find versions by different artists on Audios by Singers.

Frequently asked questions

Who wrote Viduvaraa dentaina?
Tallapaka Annamacharya (Annamayya), the 15th-century composer-saint.

Which raga is it in?
Ahiri (ఆహిరి).

What are the rekhu and samputam numbers?
Rekhu 101-2, Samputam 2-2.

What does the keerthana say?
The devotee asks the Lord not to let go of him, however foolish he is, and to protect him from the mockery of others. He admits that he knows neither knowledge nor ignorance, nor good or bad action, and cannot give up worldly pleasures, but says that he bears the Lord's name and mark. He ends by saying that he has come before the eyes of Sri Venkateswara and asking for compassion.

What does "mudradhaari" mean here?
It means one who bears the Lord's marks. In the Vaishnava tradition these are the marks of the conch and discus, and the word likely refers to that custom.

Where can I listen to it?
The audio on this page is sung by G. Balakrishna Prasad and S. Janaki and plays through an embedded YouTube player. Use the video player at the top of this post.

Source & credits

  • Lyrics: Composed by Tallapaka Annamacharya (15th century, public domain). Reference numbers (rekhu 101-2, samputam 2-2) follow the TTD Annamacharya Sankeertanas edition.
  • Audio: Sung by G. Balakrishna Prasad and S. Janaki, played from YouTube. Audio rights belong to the uploader and the artists.
  • Transliteration, word notes and meaning: Original to the Annamayya Keerthanalu blog.

The keerthana text is by Annamacharya (public domain). Audio recordings and published editions belong to their respective owners. Shared for devotional and educational purposes. If you are a rights holder and want any content changed or removed, please tell us through the Contact page.

More audio versions

Listen to more Annamayya keerthanas on our Jukebox or find versions by different artists on Audios by Singers.

Popular Annamayya keerthanas:

Annamacharya's keerthanas are more than 500 years old. If you notice a spelling mistake, please tell us through the Contact page.